Hardware Printrbot Simple Maker Edition - this actually started as the original Printrbot Simple and I used the Makers Upgrade kit to get it to this version. See some of my previous posts for that process. Custom Heated Bed - I hacked this to mount under the aluminum print bed. About 1/4 inch had to be cut from either side and of course a separate power supply had to be used. Software Astroprint - fresh off their successful Kickstarter campaign, I decided to run their 'cloud slicer' through its paces. They offer both Cura and Slic3r configurations. I can't…

Watchface Download Link The watch face pictured above was created with WatchMaker for Android. I made it for use with my Motorola 360 smartwatch. Being my first watchface, I found the tools within WatchMaker to be incredibly intuitive and easy to use. They have a habit of regularly updating the app and have given the developer access to a plethora of sensors and variables. Admittedly, I've seen some other watch faces similar to this one. I figured I would take a stab at making my own version from scratch, however. The face features the local weather top and center, wi-fi…

Because I am an engineer and I like to ‘think’ my way out of doing repetitive tasks by hand, I wondered how I could lock and unlock my Android phone automatically. Having just purchased the Moto 360, I was curious if I could use it and it’s bluetooth connection to my phone for this purpose. Enter the apps Tasker, Trigger, and Secure Settings. Purpose: Setup an Android phone and the Moto 360 where the Moto 360 is used to unlock/deactivate the password for the phone. In other words, be able to leave your phone on your desk, walk…

Upgrade-ception Just as soon as I installed and got this working on my printer, I ripped the whole thing apart. I had been putting off purchasing the Maker’s Upgrade Kit for my Printrbot Simple for a while, but not soon after, I caved in and purchased it (it was on sale at the time after all). Just a few of my deciding factors were: New, more refined wood structure Belt driven X & Y axis (instead of string and sandpaper) Induction Sensor for Z-endstop (Auto leveling of print bed) To refresh the memory, this is what I was currently working…

On Perpetuity Having successfully gotten my printer to work again, of course I had to completely take it apart in an attempt to ‘upgrade’ it. Before doing so, I printed off the following models to upgrade my Y-axis. It’s an odd feeling being able to use your printer to print off parts for that very same printer. Nothing new in this field, but still pretty awesome to do it successfully for the first time. Huge props to the designer (linked to above at Thingiverse) for designing these parts for bolt-on application without modifying the Printrbot itself. To ease my…

The Path to Perfect Prints. . . is paved with lots of really, really bad prints. My Printrbot Simple has been sitting dormant for quite some time after I feared the Extruder was clogged/broken beyond repair. I looked at every forum post out there and tried everything under the sun to try and fix it. Of all the supposed ‘remedies’, the most useful was to remove the brass nozzle and manually feed filament through to clean it out. Whether that fixed the issue or not, I’m unsure. What ultimately got me printing again was to switch filament and give it…